Nano Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometer
Nano Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometer Leading Research Equipment Home
The nano secondary ion mass spectrometer (Nano-SIMS; model: Nano SIMS 50), which can perform quantitative imaging with a focused 50-nm primary ion beam of the distribution of trace elements in materials, is operated as national co-utilization equipment in the high-tech materials research field.
- World’s best spatial resolution (50 nm) among secondary ion mass spectrometers
- Multiple detection of impurity elements in a small area
- High-sensitivity imaging of light elements (including hydrogen)
- Highly reproducible analysis of insulating samples
Representative Research Case
Microstructure and mechanical properties of interstitial elements in vanadium by Nano-SIMS analysis
- We investigated the microstructure and mechanical properties of interstitial elements such as oxygen and nitrogen in vanadium, which is of interest as a membrane material in hydrogen separation, purification, and storage application
- Nano-SIMS was used to determine the oxygen and nitrogen distribution in grain boundarie
- Both interstitial oxygen and interstitial nitrogen strengthen vanadium through solid solution strengthening and affect ductility, leading to failure at high concentrations
(a) Fracture-surface image of interstitial nitrogen in vanadium.
(b) Stress and strain curves of interstitial nitrogen in vanadium.
(c) Nano-SIMS image of interstitial elements in vanadium.